Monday, December 11, 2006

Residency and ID Cards

Two weeks ago I received my Estonian residency, and this week I received my ID card. It's a pretty amazing thing, as it's a smart card, which allows the holder to do a huge range of things. For example the card can be used to vote in online elections, Tallinn being the first electorate in the world to hold an e-election. Essentially the card is used for ID purposes in the real world but also as an online signature. The cards are so useful here, it makes me wonder why there is so much concern over the new non-id card that Australia is planning to bring in. By coincidence there was a radio report that I listed to radio national and it seemed so stupid that there was even debate over ID cards. If anyone has time I recommend listening to the podcast.


I just wish that I hadn't used such an old photo

No comments: