Monday, September 22, 2008

An Estonian Spy Story

Like every loser with a BA, I've always thought that one day I would write a novel. The unfortunate fact is that I've read too many John le Carré novels, and since I moved to Estonia I've convinced myself that I could write some Le Carré style spy story set in Soviet Estonia. However there are just two problems. I can't write to save myself, and not a lot of interesting events of espionage occurred in Estonia during the cold war (or at least I haven't heard of any). Not that I'm the kind of person to let reality get in the way of my illusions of grandeur, but I think it's time to admit defeat. Or is it...

It seems that perhaps there is a culture of spying in Estonia that I can be inspired by. A breaking story has just emerged about how a former senior official in the defence ministry sold secrets to another country. The general consensus is that that country is Russia. Who else would want them!!! So, keep a look out on Amazon for Andrew Meek's great debut.

Oh hang on, I forgot that I still have no literary talent. Kurat! I guess my less than literary rants will have to remain confined to this blog!!

No comments: